Friday, June 16, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!


So, I turned 40 today.

I hate to admit it, but I have been moping around for the past 2 or 3 months, ESPECIALLY so the past week or so. How I dreaded the thought of turning 40. Every time I thought about it, I saw gravestones in my head.

Drama queen.

This is a picture of my baby boy. Well, if you call him a baby now, he hits you. Really hard. Back when I snapped this picture, his dad was decorating our dining room table with all manner of "Happy 1st Birthday" swag. This was the morning of my baby's first birthday, and he could not have BEEN happier. He knew that it was a special day, that there were balloons and streamers, and that both Grandmas (MomMom AND Mama D) and both GrandDads were already in the house.

I can't look at this picture without smiling. Freshly washed, still in his birthday suit, splashing water with his new floaty toy, he was excited and happy and sqealing. It was his birthday!

Up to yesterday afternoon, I was dragging ass. Hub has been patient with me, and despite my lack of enthusiasm, arranged for better than a dozen of our close friends to all be at the same place at the same time to help me shut down the last day of 39. There were gifts, cards with creepy clowns and farting frogs, flammable drinks, loudspeaker announcements, dedications, MORE drinks, incredibly off-color remarks, even MORE drinks (if someone offers you a shot called a Mafia Kiss, TAKE it, my friend!), a change of venue to a huge dance club where a Vietnamese dwarf seemed to dance only for me.

A blast. You all know who you are. And I love each and every one of you.

Along with this outpouring of love and liquor, I have had several friends online that have made it their business to lighten my mood with encouragement, MORE clown cards, jokes, and virtual hugs. I love all of you, too.

So today, I have adopted the baby's attitude. It's my birthday, and as I sit here in my birthday suit, splashing around in mojitos, I throw each and every one of you a virtual kiss.

I'm 40. Fucking fabulous, and I mean it this time.

No comments: